Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Starting to get used to it all

Well, I have now been in Norway for 4 days and I am finally starting to get a better feeling for this place. I haven't had any classes yet, but I have had a few meetings with the other international students. Most are of the internationals are coming to programs in English so that is what I have ended up speaking at school. I am still unsure about how strong my understanding of Norwegian is, but I have a class tomorrow that is in Norwegian so we will see how it goes. I need to get used to spending a lot of time at the school because far from where I live. I am already sick of walking that far to get anywhere and it hasn't even been a week. When they said that you would have to come up a big hill, they really meant it. I am dreading walking this much when the weather starts to get bad. I just hope that since I am leaving in December, I will miss the worst of it.

There are several Americans here, mostly from the midwest or Washington. Some are nice and some are not helping to give the Americans a good reputation. There are a lot of people here from Spain too. They are very friendly and I am hoping to get to know them more. The Germans are pretty friendly too. I was surprised that pretty much everyone is from Europe. I guess I know that this a European country, but I still find it hard to believe that there are only a couple of Asians and a couple Africans and I am not aware of anyone from South America.

I like having my own apartment. Having your own bathroom is the best! I have to share a kitchen with 3 other people, but I doubt that will be an issue since I have not even seen any of them in the kitchen yet. The view from my window is pretty good (see below to see what I see) and I am glad that I am not looking into the lounge like I was at Luther last year.Well, hopefully things will just keep smoothing themselves out on the way.

The view from my apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment